Japan Visa Processing (First Timer)

In this post, I will share my experience in applying for Japan visa. I spent almost three weeks completing the requirements until submission. Those were the longest weeks of my life to be honest 😂

What made me apply for Japan visa was the seat sale Jetstar had few weeks ago. We were able to book a round-trip flight to Osaka. Yes, I was that brave to book a flight knowing that I do not have a visa yet 😂

Before completing my requirements, I read everything in this thread  https://www.pinoyexchange.com/discussion/421690/japan-visa-help/ from page 1 up to page 342 and this really helped me. There were many travelers who shared their experiences and some tips as well. It was really informative. I also read some blogs.

After doing my research, my confidence increased since I have most of the requirements to apply for a visa. The basic requirements are the following:
  1.  Philippine Passport 
    • Make sure it is not broken and please sign page 3
      2. Visa Application Form 
      3. Photo 
    • I had mine taken from Mitsubishi Photo at SM North EDSA. They usually know what size the picture should be, just let them know that you are going to use it for Japan visa processing.
      4. Birth Certificate 
    • It must be issued within the same year and you can get it from PSA Main Office/Serbilis Outlet Center (Nationwide).
    • I requested mine from SM Business Center and waited for 5 working days. I suggest you request online (3-4 days release) or directly on NSO offices (same day release)
      5. Marriage Certificate (if the applicant is married) 

      6. Daily Schedule in Japan (TAIZAI YOTEIHYO) 
      7. Bank Certificate 
    • Validity of Bank Certificate is three (3) month from the date of issue
    • BPI Bank cert fee is Php 200.00, can be claimed after 5-10 minutes 
    • East West Bank fee is Php 120.00,  can be claimed after 5-10 minutes 
    • NOTE: Be careful if you are going to borrow / transfer money to your account. Some banks show the ADB in their bank certificates.
      8. Applicant’s Income Tax Return (Form 2316) clear Photocopy (latest)

You can check the detailed requirements here: https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/files/000232573.pdf 

The requirements looked simple but I had trouble collecting them 😓😅 East West Bank issues bank certificate only on the branch where you opened your account so in my case I had to get it from their branch in Pampanga. My other documents (Birth Cert. and COE) took a week before they were released. After completing the requirements, another dilemma I had was where to submit my application.

The Embassy does not entertain direct applications (except for special conditions) instead, you need to process your application through accredited travel agencies. Please see the list of travel agencies here: https://www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000253.html

I was eyeing Attic Tours at first because it was near to my office but it has the most expensive fee for visa processing. They charge Php 1680 unlike other agencies who charge as low as 950. I heard about Reli Tours but there were a lot of negative feedback about their staffs. Friendship Tours was the most mentioned agency and recommended in the forum. But when I tried to reach out to them via Email, they only responded once.

When I joined a group in Facebook (Japan for  Dummies PH), one member posted that Universal Holidays Inc. has an ongoing promo on their Japan visa processing. Register online and you'll only pay Php 700 instead of Php1200.00.

I tried to look for their Facebook page and asked some questions and surprisingly, they were attentive and accommodating even if it was outside their office hours. I even had questions sent via email and they were consistent in answering them. They also had numerous 5 star reviews and most of their customers were satisfied in their service and they had fast transactions. With that, I decided to use their service in processing my visa.

I submitted my application last Monday, September 24. Their office is on the Ground floor of Dusit Thani in Makati. Aside from the basic requirements, I also submitted a cover letter stating my intention, original copy of my Certificate of Employment and copy of my bookings (hotel and flight) to back up my application.

I am not that confident that I will be granted a visa because I was too paranoid. I read a blog wherein she was denied even though she completed her requirements and has sufficient funds in her bank account. So aside from the basic requirements, additional documents, I included my application in my prayers every night. 😇

September 25, Tuesday, a text message and an email was sent informing me that my application was lodge in at the Embassy. My heart was beating so fast when I read that message.

September 26, Wednesday, another text message and email was sent saying that my passport is already available for pick up. I was even more nervous that time and was having a lot of what-ifs in my mind. But still, I was trying to think positive since I have submitted "honest" documents and knowing that it was processed quickly, maybe, just maybe, I didn't have any problems and was granted a visa easily.

September 26, Thursday, I picked up my passport in their office. The agent revealed the result by holding my passport like a briefcase in Deal or No deal style haha. That's the only time I knew that I was granted a visa. I read that if you were denied, there is a red mark at the back of your passport. I was granted a single entry visa by the way. 💓

I would like to thank those who assisted me in Universal Holidays Inc. and Embassy of Japan in the Philippines for giving me the opportunity to visit the Land of the Rising Sun. See you soon, Japan 💓💓💓

Before I end this post, I would like to share some tips that helped me in my application.
1. Avoid erasures in your application form. If you can fill it up before printing, better do so.
2. Do not forget to write your name and birthday at the back of your picture.
3. Save or transfer your funds to the bank account you are going to use as early as 6 months prior to application (esp. if your bank is BPI, ADB is reflected in the bank certificate)
4. Double check the content of your documents before submission, it is not the job of the agency to double check it for you (though some does this)
5. Make your itinerary really simple. Don't confuse the embassy with so much information.
6. Don't be like me, do not book your flights prior to visa application. Better do this once you have been granted with a visa.
7. Research and don't hesitate to ask. Remember that your papers speak for you. You only have one chance. 😉

There you go. 😉

Love,
Clau





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Trip: Thuk Thuk Restaurant and Pastries

Food Trip: Mayummy + Mang Chaa